Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Fresh Start

Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. (Psalms 51:10 NASB)

The unfolding of a new year leads most of us to self-examination. We look at where we are and try to figure out how we got there. The new year also brings us to a time of decision. Do we continue on our present course? Will we continue to carry last years baggage? Will we stop smoking, overeating, cursing, drinking or staying up too late? This may all seem negative,but if you think about it, most of the resolutions you hear about have to do with fixing something we don't like about ourselves.

Just where do all of these flaws come from? Jesus said very plainly,"For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you." (Mark 7:21-23 NLT)

Real change starts in the heart and works its way outward. This is my prayer for 2009. Lord I'm sorry that I've allowed my heart to become tainted with sin and worldly cares over the past year. Please cleanse me and renew my spirit so that I can worship stronger and serve You better and grow closer to You this year.

1 comments:

small-groups gathering said...

great prayer bro -- God is good!!!