Thursday, October 9, 2008

Character

Today I heard a comment on the radio, that I’d heard somewhere before but I still can’t remember who said it. “Character is what you do when no one is looking.” That comment stuck me like a knife. As Christians, we know that God is always looking, but how often are we more concerned with what others see. I work in a fairly small warehouse that contains over seventy-five cameras. At first I was very conscientious of this, but now I’d hate to think of the things they had seen me do when “no one” was looking. Don’t worry I haven’t stolen anything, but I will occasionally “bust a move” to the radio when I’m alone. I never know who is watching the cameras and most of the time I don’t even think about them. Since none of us have seen God we tend forget He is watching too. Paul reminds his friends in Philippi that just because he’s not there doesn’t mean that they can go all willy-nilly.

Philippians 2:12-18 NLT
12Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. 13For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
14Do everything without complaining and arguing, 15so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. 16Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. 17But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy. 18Yes, you should rejoice, and I will share your joy.

Here are a few character building reminders from Paul:
1. Our work represents Someone greater than ourselves
2. God’s work makes us better than ourselves
3. We work best when we don’t do it for ourselves

I hope this post is helpful. I know I need constant reminding that God is over me, around me, under me, in me, and for me. From what I've read, He likes you pretty good too.

God Bless Y'all
Bro. Coy

0 comments: